So my brother in laws surprise 40th birthday party is this weekend and I’ve been helping my sister-in-law out as much as I can. In addition to creating the invites (Something I learned to do when getting married – SO much cheaper!) and addressing questions about logistics, I’m helping our mother in law put together the desert centerpieces so my sister-in-law doesn’t have to pay for a Viennese hour.
I’m obsessed with citrus desserts. I’ll eat an entire lemon meringue pie on my own.
So my contribution to the centerpieces are these Lemon Crinkle Cookies I discovered.They’re super yummy and go fast when at the table. Plus they stay moist for days so you can make them ahead of time without worries.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest (I used 1 1/2 because as I mentioned I’m REALLY obsessed with citrus)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease light colored baking sheets with non stick cooking spray and set aside
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest and lemon juice
- Stir in all dry ingredients (excluding powdered sugar) slowly until just combined
- Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate
- Roll teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in the powdered sugar
- Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte (not shiny)
- Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack
**If using a no stick darker baking tray reduce baking time by about 2 minutes**